Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My sleep schedule, my theory, and a song I composed about coffee

This is such a strange disease, fibromyalgia.  It seems to control my sleep schedule.  I used be a morning person.  I loved having the world to myself at 6 a.m. with my cuppa-coffee, and my journal, and my Alanon book, soaking in the natural beauty.  Even younger than that (college) I used to pop out of bed like toast from a toaster, and simultaneously opened my eyes.  I was so happy to be alive and so excited to be in charge of my life, to see what the world had for me that day. I felt like I was on a great adventure. I lived by the saying:  "Early to bed, early to rise, makes one healthy, wealthy, and wise."

Now I am the total opposite.  I cannot seem to force myself to fall asleep before 3 a.m., and I can't wake up before noon.  Today it was 4 a.m. 'til 1 p.m. My pain is lowest and my energy highest from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. and my brain is most active then. I have tried to change my sleep schedule, but it always goes back. When I do wake up it is slow going.  It is the time of my highest pain level and, while I keep feeling like I should be doing something constructive, I just can't.  It is a huge chore just to make my coffee.  I love this coffee maker though, because I can set it up the night before and wake up to fresh, hot motion-potion.

I have developed a theory about all of this.  I think it has to do with barometric pressure.  I need to research it more, but I bet the pressure drops at night.  I do know this: when the pressure is building up to a storm I always feel my highest pain level ever, then, like someone flipped a switch, I will suddenly feel an immense sense of relief.  Within seconds of that the first raindrop falls, or the first lightening flashes, an I say, "Oh, that explains it."  So this makes me wonder if I would find some relief or cure sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber (--like Michael Jackson did. I would bet he had fibromyalgia - undiagnosed) .

And  now, as promised,  THE COFFEE SONG!  I made this up for some neighbor girls I babysat.  To be authentic it must be sung in a very strong hillbilly accent.

Oh, I'm movin' slow this mornin'
I haven't had my drink,
The one that gits me goin'
and helps my brain to think.

I drink it in the mornin'
and sometimes through the day.
Gotta have my cuppa coffee
to send me on my wa-a-a-ay!

I just love a bit of silliness. Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment